Last updated 28 March 2017
Last updated 28 March 2017

This page sets out the eligibility criteria for Search and Rescue (SAR) Adult and Community Education (ACE) Fund funding.


TEO eligibility

See Condition: Organisation eligibility for tertiary education organisation (TEO) eligibility requirements. 

Programme eligibility

See the following conditions for programme (including course) eligibility requirements.

In addition, the TEO must work with local organisations, peak bodies, groups, and communities, including other TEOs involved in ACE, Search and Rescue (ACE) and Emergency Management (ACE) provision, to identify and meet community learning needs with respect to search and rescue training needs.

See Condition: Your responsibilities.

Learner eligibility

See Condition: Learner eligibility for learner eligibility requirements. The learner must be:

  • a Domestic Student
  • nominated to undertake the search and rescue training by New Zealand Search and Rescue (NZSAR), or by a search and rescue organisation approved by NZSAR.

Verifying learner identity 

To comply with the reporting requirements under Schedule 18, clause 13 of the Education and Training Act, a TEO must verify the learner’s identity when the learner enrols for the first time if the learner is enrolled in a programme of learning with an EFTS value of greater than 0.03 EFTS. 

If the identity is verified, the TEO can then check if the learner is eligible to be a valid domestic enrolment.

Note: The TEO must sight either an original or a certified copy of the original.

  • Where an original is sighted, it must be received by the TEO in original hard copy format.
  • Where a certified copy is sighted, it may be received by the TEO in either hard copy format or digital format (photograph or scan).

In either instance the TEO remains responsible for verifying the learner’s identity.

Certified copies

A certified copy is a photocopy or scanned copy that has been endorsed as a true copy of the original. To be certified, the document must:

(a)  be certified by an official of the issuing authority or a person authorised by law in New Zealand to certify documents, such as a Justice of the Peace, a lawyer, or a court official (Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar), and

(b)  have the official's signature on each page, with the name and title of the official shown clearly below his or her signature.

If the identity of the learner is verified, the TEO can then check if the learner is eligible to be a valid domestic enrolment. 

For subsequent enrolments in consecutive years, the TEO is not required to re-verify the learner’s identity. However, TEOs should assess their level of risk around identity verification and, if appropriate, develop a policy as to when to re-verify the learner’s identity.

It is recommended that each TEO familiarise itself with the Department of Internal Affairs' Evidence of Identity Standard.

Verifying learner eligibility

It is recommended that one of the following methods be used to verify learner eligibility to enrol in Search and Rescue (ACE) funded training.

Type of student

Verification methods

A New Zealand citizen

A TEO can:

(a)  confirm the student's citizenship status using the student’s NSN, or

(b)  receive an assertion through RealMe® that the student was born in New Zealand (prior to 2005), or

(c)  sight an original or certified copy of one or more of the following documents:

(i)  a New Zealand birth certificate, or

(ii)  a New Zealand passport, or

(iii)  a New Zealand certificate of citizenship, or

(d)  if a student is unable to obtain a birth certificate for the purposes of (c)(i) above, contact the TEC to confirm that a whakapapa statement signed by both the student and a kaumātua is acceptable evidence of citizenship.

A New Zealand resident                          

A TEO must sight an original or certified copy of one or more of the following documents:

(a)  a passport with a current returning residency class visa (a passport with a visa label), or

(b)  a passport, and letter or email, confirming current returning residency class visa (label-less visa, followed by confirmation with Immigration New Zealand, where appropriate), or

(c)  a certificate of identity from Immigration New Zealand if the student is a refugee.

Note: To enquire about an individual student’s immigration status contact the Immigration New Zealand