FAQs for Learners

FAQs for Learners

Last updated 20 May 2021
Last updated 20 May 2021

How do I know if I’m eligible to access this Hardship Fund?

Most domestic learners are eligible to receive support from the Hardship Fund. Please contact your tertiary provider to check that you are eligible.

If you are an industry trainee and you need financial support, the Ministry of Social Development has a number of initiatives that may be of assistance to you. Because funding for HAFL is limited, industry training providers may be eligible to receive funding from the TEC during a prolonged period of COVID-19 restriction (i.e a one-month Alert Level 3 lockdown).

If you are not eligible for individual assistance under the HAFL funding, you may still be able to benefit from group initiatives organised by your provider such as the food bank.

How can I access the fund?

The funding will be allocated to your tertiary provider. Contact your provider and talk about what support you require.

What can this money be used for?

This money can be used to cover essential living costs that you are unable to meet such as food, internet, utilities, rent or other unexpected expenses.

How much can I receive from this fund?

There is no cap on how much support you can receive. However, your provider is expected to spend the fund responsibly and in a way that is consistent with the purpose of the fund. They are required to keep records and report the amount of money given to you. Their total spend and the number of learners they supported will be published and periodically updated on the TEC’s website.