Information for migrant learners

Information for migrant learners

Last updated 7 March 2017
Last updated 03/07/2017

As a part of their residency requirements, some migrants are required to pay English language tuition fees to Immigration New Zealand (a part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment) before arriving in New Zealand.

If you have done this, your money is in an account and ready for you to use once you’ve arrived in New Zealand. This account is used to pay your student fees when you enrol in English language courses at an approved course provider. You can choose which approved provider you want to study at and which English language courses you want to take. Your student fees will be the same amount as the student fees for other New Zealand citizens.

When you enrol in a course at an approved provider, TEC pays your student fees direct to that organisation. Your pre-paid fees must be used within five years of the date you paid the money to Immigration New Zealand.

You do not need to take out a student loan to pay your student fees, as your student fees are paid out of your pre-paid fees account. However, you may be able to get a student allowance and a student loan for course-related costs and living costs. Contact Studylink for more details.

English language courses are run all over New Zealand.

When you are ready to enrol in an English language course, please call us on 0800 601 301 to find out how to start your studies. 


English language courses in your area

Pre-purchased English Language Tuition 2017 Auckland Directory of Providers (PDF, 1.2 Mb)

Pre-purchased English Language Tuition 2017 Christchurch Directory of Providers (PDF, 400 Kb)

Pre-purchased English Language Tuition 2017 Wellington Directory of Providers (PDF, 299 Kb)

Pre-purchased English Language Tuition 2017 Other regions Directory of Providers (PDF, 614 Kb)


Useful websites

Further information on immigration requirements, career advice and training options can be found on the websites noted below.

Please note some of the following links will take you to non-New Zealand government sites. Making these links available does not constitute any endorsement, warranty or recommendation by TEC.